Phone Unlocking Policy
StandUp will comply with the CTIA Consumer Code with respect to the unlocking of mobile wireless devices. Specifically, StandUp will abide by the following principles regarding the ability of customers and former customers, and individual owners of eligible devices to unlock phones that are locked by or at the direction of StandUp:
Note, carriers typically use different frequencies and air interface technologies to provide wireless network access. Accordingly, a device that works on one carrier’s network may not be technologically compatible with another carrier’s network. “Unlocking” a device refers only to disabling software that would prevent a consumer from attempting to activate a device designed for one carrier’s network on another carrier’s network, even if that network is technologically compatible. In other words, “unlocking” a device will not necessarily make a device interoperable with other networks - a device designed for one network is not made technologically compatible with another network merely by “unlocking” it. Additionally, unlocking a device may enable some functionality of the device but not all (e.g., an unlocked device may support voice services but not data services when activated on a different network).
The following is the CTIA Consumer Code with respect to unlocking mobile wireless devices and how StandUp Wireless will comply.
- Disclosure: StandUp Wireless’s Phone Unlocking Policy is readily accessible on our website in this policy.
- Postpaid Unlocking Policy: StandUp Wireless is a Prepaid carrier and therefore does not have a Postpaid Policy. Please see the relevant policy in #3 below.
- Prepaid Unlocking Policy: Customers that received a free or discounted phone, must maintain service with StandUp Wireless for no less than six months consecutive months before StandUp Wireless will provide instructions on how to unlock their device. Customers that purchased their device may receive instructions to unlock their device immediately. To receive unlock instructions for their device, customers must be in full compliance with StandUp Wireless’ Terms and Conditions, have had service through StandUp Wireless for no more than 12 months, and have received their device from StandUp Wireless. Customers wishing to unlock their StandUp provided device should call Customer Service at 1-800-544-4441.
- Notice: StandUp Wireless provides notice regarding its unlock policy and timing of eligibility on its website within this Policy. See #3 above.
- Response Time: StandUp will, within two days of receiving an unlocking request, do one of the following: (i) provide instructions to the customer to allow them to unlock an eligible phone (this may or may not require the customer to mail their device to our facility to unlock the device); (ii) initiate a request to the original equipment manufacturer to unlock an eligible phone; (iii) explain to the requesting customer why the phone is ineligible for unlocking; or (iv) offer a reasonable explanation as to why StandUp needs more time to process the unlocking request. StandUp will respond to requests to unlock a device within 2 business days, but depending on the manufacturer of the device, obtaining instructions to unlock the device may take longer.
- Deployed Personnel Unlocking Policy: For deployed military personnel who are in full compliance with StandUp Wireless’s Terms and Conditions of Service, StandUp will provide instructions to unlock their device upon receiving valid copies of deployment papers.