11 Surprising Things You Can Buy From Amazon With SNAP EBT
This information is current as of June 14, 2022.
As a SNAP recipient, you know what you can purchase with Food Stamps. But what about items like coffee makers, toys, or gift baskets? Have you ever wondered if you could buy presents for family and friends on Amazon using your EBT card? This article looks closely at what you can get besides the typical essential food items.
From gift baskets to fancy coffee pods, various unexpected items are EBT-eligible. Read on to learn more about the SNAP program and check out these surprising things you can buy from Amazon with your EBT card.
What Is SNAP?
Before diving into unexpected items available for purchase with SNAP EBT, those new to SNAP or considering applying for SNAP, you may be wondering about the program.
Millions of Americans need assistance with purchasing food at some point in their lives. While many individuals are fortunate enough to have robust support systems to help provide meals, others don’t have that luxury. The pandemic has made it even worse.
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, known as SNAP, is beneficial and comes in handy for those who need it. This federal program (once known as Food Stamps) helps feed low-income Americans who otherwise may not have the means to put food on the table.
A SNAP Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card helps people buy nutritious food at EBT-participating stores. The program ensures that no one goes hungry – children can grow into adults and that seniors can afford to eat as healthily as working adults.
What Food Is Eligible With the SNAP EBT Card?
The USDA states “any food for the household” as eligible, but that leaves many unsure of miscellaneous-type food, such as restaurant orders, alcohol, and vitamins. Food for the household is covered with SNAP benefits and includes:
- Produce like fruits and vegetables (in any form, such as canned, fresh, etc.)
- Dairy products
- Meat, fish, and poultry
- Plants and seeds that produce food
Acceptable food is considered “Staple Food,” and the USDA has extensive guidelines of items that your EBT card will support. Click here to read the SNAP overview on Staple Food.
Ineligible Food You Can’t Buy With SNAP EBT Card
The USDA clearly defines what can and can’t be purchased with SNAP EBT cards. The following are ineligible food and products.
- Alcoholic products including liquor, wine, beer
- Tobacco products
- Dietary supplements and any product with a Supplement Facts label
- Live animals, except for fish and shellfish available at grocery stores
- Products such as household and hygiene supplies, makeup, and pet food are not meant to be eaten.
There are some gray areas, though, and these may vary from city to city. Hot readymade food from restaurants is one example in some towns. Still, not all allow some disabled and/or elderly people to use food assistance for these purchases.
The guidelines depend upon your location, so it’s a good idea to make sure your purchase is eligible for EBT before completing your transaction.
11 Surprising Things You Can Buy From Amazon
While searching Amazon, you may be happily surprised to discover that there are various things you can purchase with SNAP EBT.
- Emergency Food Supply: Ideal for storm prep, you can stock up on items like this $75 Augason Farms Lunch and Dinner Variety Pail Emergency Food Supply 4-Gallon Pail.
- Coffee Pods and K-Cups: You can use your EBT card to stock up on fancy flavored Nespresso Capsules, coffee pods, and K-cups to stay caffeinated.
- Tea Sets: You may have read this article about purchasing tea with EBT, but did you know you can buy tea worthy of gifting? Check out the Pukka Organic Tea Bags, Relax Selection Box Herbal Tea, Perfect for Inner Harmony, or this Twinings of London Tea Classics Collection sampler.
- Popcorn Sampler: Looking for a family-friendly gift? Want to spice up your family’s movie night with parmesan- and cheddar-flavored popcorn? This Quinn Movie Night Popcorn Variety Gift Kit is EBT-eligible.
- SlimFast: Looking for a meal substitute plan or breakfast protein shakes? Drinks like SlimFast are EBT-eligible and available on Amazon, such as this Two-Pack of SlimFast Advanced Nutrition High Protein Meal Replacement Smoothie Mix.
- Astronaut Food: Looking for a fun, educational treat for the kiddos? Give them a quick lesson while serving this NASA space dessert Astronaut Foods Freeze-Dried Ice Cream Sandwich, NASA Space Dessert.
- Collagen Protein Powder: You may be hearing about all collagen powder’s health and beauty benefits. Though it’s a pricy item, it may be worth the investment. You can use EBT to purchase certain brands like Orgain Keto Collagen Protein Powder with MCT Oil.
- Garden Herbs: Seeds are EBT-eligible! This cute, indoor Back to the Roots New Kitchen Garden Complete Herb Kit would look great in any kitchen.
- Pedialyte: Did you know that items like PediaSure and Pedialyte are SNAP eligible? Ideal for children and adults, it should be comforting to know you can buy Pedialyte in bulk using your EBT account on Amazon.
- Mrs. Fields Cookies: Who doesn’t like delicious Mrs. Fields Cookies? The perfect gift for family, friends, and even your child’s teacher! You can use EBT to buy a Mrs. Fields Cookies Signature 60 Nibblers Bite-Sized Cookie Tin from Amazon.
- Godiva: Whether you’re shopping for luxury chocolate for yourself or for gifts, check out the Godiva Chocolatier Store on Amazon – it’s all SNAP EBT eligible!
Save Money on Your Wireless Phone Service
When you qualify for government benefit programs like SNAP, you may also be eligible for Lifeline or the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). Both Lifeline and ACP are government-run programs that help low-income consumers receive free or heavily discounted communication services.
Click here to find out more and apply for this valuable benefit.
Get a Tablet for $10.01
If you qualify, you can get an 8″ tablet for just $10.01. Apply here to get started!
Save Even More With Recommended Resources and Amazon Deals
Looking to save on additional items? You may want to check out our Recommended Resources page. For example, you can learn how to save 50% on Amazon Prime membership and use your EBT card.